All text copyright Stephen Coates 2006 - 2015

DID IT FEEL GOOD?

Last night to the premiere of the new Richard Curtis feel-good, comedy 'The Boat that Rocked" in Leicester Square. Now I've never been to a red carpet affair before so I found it quite interesting - with Sixties Go Go dancers, popping flashbulbs and all that - and it was absolutely rammed with English Actors and celebrities - apparently. Unfortunately due to a combinations of factors - not having a TV, not reading the papers and being short sighted - I rarely recognise anyone and I embarrassed myself by mistaking Paul McCartney's new girlfriend for Carlo Bruni. My eyesight is good enough however to notice that Kenneth Brannagh is rather short.

I am not alone in this deficiency. Sipping yet another non alcoholic drink, I had become aware of the interested gaze of a young chap for sometime before he came over, introduced himself and engaged me in a conversation which implied a familiarity with me and my work. I managed a small period of self delusion before we both realised that he had mistaken me for one of the cast and he hurried off. I was left alone rather hoping he wasn't thinking of Rhys Ifans before changing my mind and hoping that he WAS thinking of Rhys Ifans - as the only plausible (ie blondish) alternatives being Philip Seymour Hoffman or, ahem, Bill Nighy.

It's probably the longest comedy I have seen - almost two and a half hours - and so full of feel good moments that I'm afraid to say I began to feel rather bad. Some funny things but I left with a rather confused feeling of really not knowing what to make of it. N. said to me "That's because you're not the target audience." Do let me know if you are the target audience, what that means and what you think of it.

9 comments:

tony said...

I,m Old Enough to Rememember Radio Caroline So i guess I will see it......but it wont be the same unless i bring my bedsheets to hide under while i listen to it!

clerkenwell kid said...

Don't listen to this curmudgeon - I think a lot of people will love it - there are some very good tunes on the soundtrack!

tony said...

Its Praise!
This is how ALL music should be listened too! Secret.In The Dark! A Private illegal Passion!

tony said...

i went to see it today in
Manchester.My thoughts @
MY BLOG

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter!

I was wondering if you would give me the lyrics to 'Easter Parade' I've been looking for them everywhere and I haven't had any luck.

And I was also wondering about the song meaning. May you add some thoughts to that as well?

Thanks!

clerkenwell kid said...

Surely - here you go.

That song was something to do with a dream of a small northern seaside town- maybe Ravenglass or Whitehaven perhaps, cross dressing and about somebody you never see again.

Unknown said...

...well, I am not the target audience, so I can not help you there....I feel for you, though. I go to the movies for thrills! I already live 'real life' and 'comedy', thus no need to spend money or time sitting/watching it. I hope you got some free drinks and good food for your time, nevertheless. I don't know much about English society, but you sure are interesting. Love your blogs!

clerkenwell kid said...

well I don't drink now, I am a vegetarian and you can't smoke anywhere so these things have become a little, er, trying..


...but thanks!

Anonymous said...

It's actually a cool and useful piece of information. I'm happy that you shared this useful information with us.
Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

http://www.twitterfollowersreviews.webs.com

Also visit my web-site; presiding